Archives for the month of: June, 2016

 

I got many fitting issues with this kit. Most of the reviews I had read in advance for this kit were good, but I found out they were not accurate. Important fitting/alignment problems: Fuselage panel lines do not align, fuselage halves overhangs, wings to fuselage voids, horizontal stabilizer to fuselage voids, canopy to fuselage voids to mention a few. Moreover, this proposed “B” version was intended for three seats in the cockpit including a gunner. Well, this third space for the gunner is an empty space in the cockpit’s kit! I had to scratch build it (in an imaginative way, non historically correct) including the machine-gun. The greenhouse in front of the gunner is not glass but frame! But that is a fix I am not going to undertake so far. Definitely this kit is for modellers who enjoy scratch building and fiddling with alignment. It tested my patience, scratch build, and fitting skills (around 1 month in the hobby). But, I wanted so badly this oddly shaped plane, and I like very much night fighters. For the camo, I did the “inverse technique” in which instead of painting the spots of the mottling a dark base colour is filled with random wavy top colour crating the spots in the background.  On the positive side, Dragon got a beautiful general shape for the plane and cristal clear canopy.

IMG_4395Dragon 1/72

This was a nice fitting kit. Airbrushed with Tamiya acrylic paint. I built the antenna from melted sprue. It looks out of scale but I like the overall look that it gives to the final model.

The fitting of the plastic parts was excellent for this kit. I airbrushed it with Tamiya acrylic paints. Tamiya’s plastic took really well the paint with no need of primer. I made the stand with construction grade 4X4 pine stained with General Finishes Georgian cherry gel stain and two layers of General Finishes gel topcoat. The stand’s rod is 1/16″ K&S square brass rod fitting into a piece of Evergreen 1/8″ squared styrene rod encased into the plane’s fuselage.